Thanks again friends, Rich, George, Deac, Ryan, WETH and Rene.
George, I'm also a shooter, so I appreciate the analogy.
Hard-headedness is part of it, and I guess it shows if you do the math and
throw money at it, anything works.
Here are the two hottest decals left on the frame - I'm always looking down
at the Reg Harris decal.

<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/bulldog1935/Raleigh/Lenton%20GP/a502206c-574c-47f6-a149-4cc0f3b7ad8d.jpg>

<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/bulldog1935/Raleigh/Lenton%20GP/590ae563-82d0-48e6-a86b-401aecc4e5bc.jpg>

A close-up of the pretty Cyclo Super R/S shifter, and a close-up of the
chainguard clearance and mounting hardware

<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/bulldog1935/Raleigh/Lenton%20GP/aP3120001%202.jpg>
<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/bulldog1935/Raleigh/Lenton%20GP/aP4120004JPG.jpg>

<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/bulldog1935/Raleigh/Lenton%20GP/aP4120004JPG.jpg>

The chainguard is tight, but everything works and clears.  In order to
shift to the big ring, the FD cage has to be tight against the inside of
the chainring, and clearing the low-Q crank arm requires perfect alignment
of the chainguard.  The Simplex L-bracket lets you align the rear laterally
at the buttonhead into the stanoff, and vertical alignment is rotation at
the forward fastener. . On the front end of the guard, the Simplex band
clamp has nuts on each side of the rod end, which lets you align that end.
 My photos are probably going to crash, because it won't let me add another
- we'll - I'll add another post that shows the Simplex front band clamp.
But on my first ride, I didn't have torque on the buttonheads, and the
chainguard came loose in the first two miles.  However, I had my compliment
of loose tools from McMaster and was able to re-align the chainguard at a
park bench and finish the 20-mi smoke test ride.  Since then, with proper
torque, it's all rock solid.