Ryan,

My own experience of being hit  was being struck from behind at speed which
led to thirty facial stitches, but miraculously no broken bones. The face
healed well and only faint scars remain. This happened in 2010. I resumed
riding a few weeks after the crash as I had to recover from road rash and
heavy bruising, but I was tentative. I ride a lot of miles each year, but
the memory of the crash stays with me. It doesn't spook me or make me ride
less, it's just there in my subconscious. One thing I do now is avoid
"conflict zones"  - areas where traffic might be distracted or stressed. A
 couple of km detour is worth the effort to avoid the risky bits. The mojo
never goes away.

IanA.