I find it surprisingly not surprising at all much of the bike biz has
gone hog wild for disc brakes. I actually prefer to brake as little and as
light as possible, and I live in area where there are many 1 mile and under
steep and curvy rolly polly hills to ride on. I drive my pickup the same
way. On my '99 F150 which I bought brand new I went about 70,000 miles on
the original brakes, despite to get into town and go anywhere it's pure
roller coaster hills up and down.  I let the bike and car roll downhill ,
and just apply brakes intuitively entering corners for the inherent line
that reveals itself.

  Some of my way back roads are in very poor condition and many not
maintained in winter, and they all tend to be with very steep hills. Going
down can be harem scarem at times for sure, since they are usually sparse
to dense gravel/rock over a very irregular hard "road" and sometimes
not-a-road surface.  Sure disc brakes may make it seem not so skittish,
idk, but I ride these roads so infrequently it hardly warrants buying a
bike with discs just to test it.  When I rode all those years on my Stumpie
however, I never had a problem with rim braking down loose rocky hill
trails and often cow paths on ranches where no bicycle has been. So . .  ..
much ado about nothing.

  Everyone is different of course, some like to brake/accelerate
aggressive/hard everywhere , and that's alright certainly, I just have
never been that way. If someone wants a Riv-like bike with disc brakes that
bad there are plenty of custom frame builders to do so for you. But if you
have experience with different builders/designers of anything it's quite
apparent they will make only what they agrees with their own sensibilities,
which is a good thing because thus feel free to make what they'd love to
make and use themselves and in doing so make it very well.  When you have
no personal connection to what you are designing/making it just doesn't
have that intangible quality I cannot find a word for, it's just one of
those you experience.

  So when I ride a Riv design I ride a Riv designed frame, and I know what
to expect, and I take it or leave it I like that .