It is called a half step plus granny. Back when you only had 5 or 6 cogs on
the rear, you wanted all of them to count, so you set up the two big
front chainrings to be able to split the difference between any of the rear
cogs. For example, if the rears were 12% apart, the fronts were 6% apart.
That way you had 10 distinct gear ratios with a 5 speed freewheel. The
small inner front was the granny for the steep hills and generally only
used with the  two biggest rears. I used to have a chart with the ratios
taped to my stem so I knew which way to go on the all too common double
shifts.