On 06/12/2017 09:01 PM, GAJett wrote:
"Crossover Gearing
     This refers to a derailer gear system in which the jumps between chainwheel
sizes are approximately the same as the jumps between adjacent rear sprockets. This
type of gear setup provides a particularly simple shifting pattern, requiring no
double shifting at all, but at the price of creating a large number of duplicate
gears, and limiting either the overall range of gears or the closeness of
spacing." St. Sheldon.

So if I understand Mr. Brown correctly, using a 9-spd cluster with crossover
gearing I functionally get 10 ratios.

I just set up a new bike like this:

700x32 8 spd 46/36/24 & custom 13-32 cassette

95.5    74.8    49.8
88.7    69.4    46.3
77.6    60.8    40.5
69.0    54.0    36.0
59.1    46.3    30.9
51.8    40.5    27.0
44.4    34.7    23.1
38.8    30.4    20.3

Functionally, how many ratios are there? Does it actually matter? BTW, there are only a few actual duplicates - and they don't matter either.

And that doesn't consider cross-chaining.  So why not just go for a single
chain wheel and keep it really simple. I'll probably use only one chain wheel
most of the time anyway.

You can't get the range and the closeness of steps with a 1x setup.

With a half-step I have 18 distinct gears! (Again ignoring cross-chaining.)  I
ride mostly in the middle ring, but, if I want to fine tune, the option is
there. With a crossover, oh well.

Worrying about how many distinct gears you have is wrong.  It's irrelevant.

I'm not saying that the typical crossover setup is wrong. But I do believe many
dismiss a superb option out of tradition and habit.

If you're still talking about half-step + granny here, I think you fail to appreciate the significance of the lack of proper front derailleurs and cassettes designed for half stepping, and the fact that rear shifting has become much easier now than it was in half-step days; back then, a front shift was faster and easier, more suitable for fine-tuning, compared to a rear shift. Now, rear shifts are flawless and fast as lightning, and it's front shifts that are the more problematic. Technology has changed. Half-step was a great solution when all you had to work with was five or six sprockets. That's no longer the case.

But what it really comes down to is use whatever makes you happiest. For me,
I'm a half-stepper of over four  decades now. And I'm well content☺️
Cheers!