Alex, Patrick,
Thanks for your input.  I can see both arguments.  As for how much a frame
flexes, I guess what seems good to some riders might not be appreciated by
another rider, as always.  For example, take the Karate Monkey and the
Ogre; they have the same frame geometry, but the Ogre is stiffer to haul
more weight.  Those who like to tear up the trails like the more springy
Monkey, and say the Ogre is OK, but too stiff for that purpose.  But add 50
lbs to each bike and the Ogre wins.