Here's a question I didn't think of: Were you friction-shifting 8-speed before?
I've been fine with 9-speed after getting used to it, but 8 is definitely more
forgiving of having the pulleys slightly off center without catching an
adjacent cog. These modern (by Rivvy standards) 9-speed cassettes are built
with all kinds of jagged shapes to facilitate an index shifter popping that
chain to the next cog for some masher who doesn't know anything about lifting
for shifts. 9-speed is certainly workable with friction, but it takes practice
and a deft hand to nail it.