My wife and I rode 2700 kms of the GDMBR in 2015 and planned to go back this
year, but family circumstances changed our plans. I rode a Fargo with 2.4
Maxxis Ardents. When I returned, I sold the Fargo and bought a Jones Plus. I
prefer rigid bikes, but because I'm tall and heavy, the more suspension from
the tires, the better. Any rider of average size would be just fine on 2.2s or
better, so any strong frame with enough clearance would be fine. People travel
large portions of the route on cross bikes (supported, usually). For the long
haul, it's ablout comfort.

I would recommend bikepacking bags rather than panniers. For most riders, there
will be some pushing, and loaded panniers can make hike-a-bike awkward. On very
small bikes, a "rack" to support a dry bag behind the seat post will allow teh
rider to maintain tire clearance. Portland Design Works makes an excellent one.

I would sell my maps, but I hope to do the whole thing next year.

Jay