I would tend to agree with Dave.  I ride a lot of dirt roads and bad
pavement and find that 38 - 41 MM tires are very nice for both on the
single.  We run 45's on the tandem.  Tires much above that seem more like
they are optimized for fire trails.  A little bit of tread doesn't hurt at
all.  Compass tires keep getting tweekd and the names changed so I've
stopped bothering to keep up with all of that.

Michael