John:

Yea, that sounds like you need to pester them a bit more.

To your question, I have a Shimano XTR hub laced to a Mavic A719 rim on my
Atlantis for over 10 years & maybe 50k miles.  I just grease the bearings &
lube the freehub every couple of years.  When I did a lot of touring the
load was around 50 lbs with 4 panniers plus other junk.  I use 40 mm
Schwalbe tires.

dougP