My approach to the same challenge (though no more than 4-5 windows in
active use) is more akin to my approach to bicycle computers (trying to
help you out on the OT linkage for Riv. content). One screen. I focus on
one window at a time except for active edits from my editor(s). Focus and
visual simplicity allows my wimpy brain to do more longer. I can't remember
what all the things on Mac OS are called but here are the features and
additional apps I use:

-- I use the Magic Trackpad, and it is fantastic. Took a while to get the
settings sussed.
-- Mission Control and Spaces to organize types of apps, defining some that
always stay in a given space, others that float to work wherever I am
working. 4 fingers swipe up and reveal all apps, no matter where they are.
Two clicks and I can get anywhere I need to, like switching between
physical screens, but the screen is right in front and perfectly
positioned, no need to look weird directions.
-- Magnet and/or Mac OS's split full screen for editing, so I have up to
three windows auto sized side by side. Magnet easily handles more windows
if needed.
-- HazeOver: darkens all clutter "behind" the window I'm focused on.

With abandon,
Patrick