Thanks for this useful comparison, which makes me want to swap out my Fur
Freds for the Snoqualmie Pass, el of course, and tubeless.

What do your SP's actually measure in width? And on how wide a rim?

And, would you say that the Thunder Burts are closer in performance and
feel to the SPs than to the RRs?

+ 1 for a 700C version of the Rat Trap Pass!



On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 6:00 AM, Deacon Patrick <lamontg...@mac.com> wrote:

> Finding a plush do everything tire is a challenge. Based on what is on the
> market today I would have an easier time in a smaller wheel size than 700c.
> The balance between volume v. weight and road v. trail will depend on you
> and the riding you do.
>
> This has been a fascinating summer, riding Compass’ Snoqualmie 44mm el
> tires instead of my Schwalbe 2.1” Racing Ralph performance (no flat
> protection) tires. I just switched from the Snoqualmies to the Racing
> Ralphs yesterday because I shredded the rear Snoqualmie. Trail crews
> churned up the MUP that connects me to the back road that connects me to
> Woodland Park. Detrious accumulates on the MUP from Highway 24 right next
> door and up hill. Normally not a big deal as it either gets pushed off the
> path or dug in under the path with time. But fresh churned areas?
> PBffffffffffffft! Two flats in two two days. More than I’ve ever had except
> when they churn up the MUP each year. I should avoid it for a week or two.
> But I can’t. It’s the one way I can take to get to Woodland Park and other
> rides. So, I’d rather ride my $20 a tire (I got them on sale) Racing Ralphs
> than my $80 a tire Snoqualmie. Can’t blame the tire, but I also know the
> RR’s are more likely to survive a hit than the Snoqualmies. Yesterday's
> ride on the same road and trails gave me another direct comparison between
> the two, this time with two months riding experience on the Snoqualmies and
> a year on the Racing Ralphs.
>
> In plushness, they are nearly identical, for the Racing Ralph makes up in
> volume the bit it’s short in sidewall suppleness. What does nearly mean?
> The RRs handle rocks and roots and wash board better but the general feel
> is equal.
>
> Handling: again, the strengths and weaknesses nearly balance out here, at
> least in dry(ish) conditions. Snoqualmies are fleet and smooth. Fast and
> easy climbing and surprisingly grippy, they track a smoother line (I’m
> unsure why this is). RR’s do not require underbiking on trails. This makes
> for a smoother ride on descents, but they require more effort to climb
> because of the 29er big tire inertia law of physics.
>
> The “cross” tire between these two, and the one I may go to next year as
> my summer tire is the Thunder Burt. I just nee to find a sale on the “no
> protection” version because the other versions are not supple enough for
> this "princess and the pea.” Grin.
>
> Conclusion: I love the Compass Snoqualmie and wish there was a higher
> volume option available for those of us riding all terrains with 700c. Yet
> the overall “price” I pay shifting to the Racing Ralphs is small, and I
> gain a lot of confidence in wet and/or loose surface conditions. Next year,
> if I shift to a summer tire, it will likely be the Thunder Burt.
>
> With abandon,
> Patrick
>
> www.CredoFamily.org
> www.MindYourHeadCoop.org
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "RBW Owners Bunch" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to rbw-owners-bunch+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/rbw-owners-bunch.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>



-- 
Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, and letters that get interviews.
By-the-hour resume and LinkedIn coaching.
Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
www.linkedin.com/in/patrickmooreresumespec/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
**************************************************************************
**************
*Interested in trading resume, LinkedIn, and other writing work for
professional (professional) help with marketing and growing my resumes,
etc. business. Respondents should have considerable experience in helping
small, online businesses grow. Please contact me at
patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com <patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com>.
Thanks.*

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RBW 
Owners Bunch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to rbw-owners-bunch+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/rbw-owners-bunch.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to