I agree with all of the positive comments about the XD2 wide/low on this
post.  I have an old 1970's vintage Fuji Finest that I had converted to a
single speed.  And that served me just fine for many years on most trails
in the area.  Then I gradually got to the point where some of the steeper
climbs (7% - 8% grade) just got to be too much for my aging carcass.  So I
started fishing around in my parts box and came up with a NOS Sun Tour
Winner 13-23 five speed freewheel, still in the box.  Then, I started
looking around on the web for a crankset with chainrings that would match
the freewheel cogs nicely.  Riv's XD2 40/26 combo was it!  It gives me my
favorite 70" on the 15T cog (while on the big chainring) and I can bump it
up to an 82" in one direction for some downhills and down to 63" and 53"
for milder climbs (pedestrian bridge approaches, etc.).  Then, when I get
to the steeper climbs I can switch down to the 26T ring for a "granny" to
spin my way up.  Yes, this amounts to some overlap gears between the two
chainrings and that freewheel, but I don't care - I just use the 26T and
the two largest cogs for the steepest climbs and stay on the 40T 95% of the
time, anyway.  It all worked out perfectly.