Benz asked :  "What gives? Security concerns?"

I'm not sure what exactly you are asking when you ask "what gives?"
Nothing gives.  QRs are sufficient to hold wheels on, in most situations.
I have QR wheels on most of my bikes.  They are fine.  I have nothing
against QRs, far from it.  I'm just pointing out that the only people who
NEED them are people with a team car following them.  I carry the tools I
need to do the mechanical things I need to do.  A wrench to loosen a 15mm
axle nut is just one tool in the kit.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA