I bought a used Joe Appaloosa that had been purchased complete and tricked
out really beautifully by its first owner-- many thoughtful choices about
gear and parts to customize and/or upgrade from the Rivendell build.  Among
them is an Albastache bar, which is new to me; it's great.  The bike fits
me perfectly except for the fact that the stem, a Nitto 7 cm Chrystem, has
too little height to raise the bars where I think they should be, which is
maybe an inch above the saddle.  I end up with a bit more weight on my arms
and hands than I'd like; the stem, maxed out, sits about an inch below the
nose of the saddle.  I think it's going to take a different stem to jack up
the bars, but before diving into that, two questions: first, does anyone
have advice about stem lengths that generally work for these bars, and
second, am I seeing this right?  Do other Albastache riders generally run
the stem height just at or above seat height, where I'm sort of aiming to
put it?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can pass along--

John