Patrick,

I had a similar issue one time with an Isuzu Trooper. It was running just
fine and the next day it wasn't. I turned out to be a diode in the ignition
module.

A close friend was having issues with his Ford Explorer. We were in the
mountains camping so I followed him back home. The engine shut down right
as we topped a long uphill climb. As we were coasting downhill. we spotted
an Auto Zone in the valley, so we pulled in. A Z has free testing using a
hand held unit that will give the code for the problem. Turned out the car
had dropped a valve, so the engine management system shut down before the
engine turned to toast..

The diode was easy to replace and cost about $225. The Ford's valve train
required a lot of work for about $1500.

So, point being apparently similar symptoms can result from very different
issues.

A local auto parts store may let you borrow or rent the hand held
diagnostic so you can get the code for the problem. You certainly don't
want to drive it if the valve train is having issues. Ignition issues
"might" allow you to drive it to the mechanic.

If you have insurance or AAA with towing, I would have it towed to the
mechanic to insure the engine doesn't suffer further damage.

Good luck!

Bill in Roswell, GA