I take the lazy man's out.  I avoid riding when the temps are just
above freezing - just too much snow, salt and slush to battle with.
At 10 - 20 degrees I can ride with much less muck.  A couple of years
ago I rode to work with temps in the mid thirties.  By the time I
arrived, the bike, right down to all 72 spokes, was covered in frozen
slush and the (indexed) FR was...toast.

I spent last spring and early summer recovering from foot surgery; in
late summer I developed a severe back strain, which developed into a
"frozen shoulder" so now spend more time in PT than on the bike.  I'm
hoping to get through 2010 without having my nose out of joint, and
pointed into the wind!

Michael