Hi Tim,
I respond also having no first hand experience with them (aside from a mini diy
corner frame bag from a military surplus gas mask bag) but my understanding is
that going rackless not only  saves weight but putting the heaviest items
inside the main triangle won’t affect the handling as much and as you already
mentioned the width issue keeping everything tucked into the frame space makes
snagging gear on the trail less of an issue when off road on more technical
routes.  Just my observation having wondered the same thing myself.

Brian Cole
Lawrenceville NJ