Dear Patrick,
The answer to your question, where do I work on my bikes, is on our screen
porch in spring, summer, & fall, and in the living room in winter.  Longer
projects like hanging components on an empty frame  or refurbishing an old bike
often occur in my basement workroom.  The narrow/steep stairs to the basement
discourage me from taking a bike up/down more than absolutely necessary.  Most
of my tools live in a flambeau tool box (like this:
https://www.flambeaucases.com/six-tray-box-35-compartments.aspx) that travels
with my Park work stand.  My wife is quite indulgent of my work stand and tool
box.  I wish I had a dedicated workshop/garage, but not enough to move.  So I
improvise, and it all works well even if it is a bit unconventional.
All the best,
Erl