It's the only 718 ride I've done, so I'm no expert, but it was really
great.  Joe was prepared but laid back, the group was convivial and
diverse, and there was no pressure to go fast or slow.   When my friend
took a spill, everyone had bandaids for him and no-one had unwanted advice,
that warmed my heart.   And many people brought food and beer to share.  So
if it's any indication of a normal ride with them I'd say do it!

Also going to take Joe's advice and get a 12-36 and XT derailer in the
short term, and save up for a beautiful new double crankset in the long
term.