Some of the people I know who ride ultra-short-wheelbase fixed-gear
bikes w/clips have what seems like whole foot overlap, but they manage
in boston traffic nonetheless.   I know from experience that riding in
this traffic must involve some serious weaving and sharp cuts of the
wheel left/right.     But these folks do it anyway and they're still
alive, so it must be something you can learn to cope with pretty
easily.