On my bike built for winter conditions I have a Shimano Alfine 8 speed hub
with a kick brake and a front rim brake for fair weather and back up. You
have to have a horizontal drop out to use the kick brake because of the
risk of pulling the wheel out of a vertical drop out. Its also cleaner?
more simple to run the IGH with out the need for a chain tensioner. I have
never experienced or should I say perceived any friction in any of the
gears.

In regards to tolerance to wet conditions no problems so far. Also I'd like
to note that People have been riding old 3 speed bikes for years all around
the world in all sorts of conditions. Anyone know what the dutch bicycles
use for IGH?

Finally  Heinz Stücke used a Torpedo hub in his 3 speed that he traveled
the world with.
http://www.bikechina.com

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qcs-v0gxKyk/WgDF3dHKvxI/AAAAAAAACTk/f8GGdLpKRT4i2od9futHCzu1sSFN0bOWwCLcBGAs/s1600/Heinze%2BStucke.jpg>
PS I was glad someone brought up the issue of needing a fork designed with
intention of using a drum brake.  If you google it you will find numerous
cautionary tales about using said drum brake on a "regular fork".