The long horizontal dropouts on my 53cm Rosco Bubbe road were a big reason
I bought it. Some day I'll reinvent it as a single speed. It's a 1x8 now,
and replaced an old Trek 330 road bike I had converted to fixed/free 12
years earlier.

But even with horizontal dropouts it's a compromise as a singlespeed frame.
The rear dropouts are 130mm, not 120mm, and because the frame can accept a
large tire (700x42) the tricky part is chainring selection. I'd guess that
40t or 42t is the biggest the bike could use while clearing the chainstay,
achieving good chainline, and keeping the q-factor comfortable for me. On
the other hand, a dedicated 120mm frame would allow larger chainrings. Not
that I need 'em!