On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 5:37:31 PM UTC-7, Belopsky wrote:

> From what Grant's written about the coming bike.. "• 120 rear spacing, new
> rear dropouts---track style...two eyes for rak & fendr. No der tab. Angle
> like Quickbeam's, long, too." it may work

Judging by the number of posts you're making in this thread, I'm wagering
you're going to get one of these!  Hope so.  And, if you do, you definitely
need to get one of those 120 OLD mini-cassette hubs, and try out the 6
speed, wide-range gearing.   You have me obsessing about it now, but I want
someone else to be the guinea pig.  I still kind of think it works,
though...

I just played around with my Quickbeam a bit, to see what would really be
feasible.  The chainstay length can be anywhere from a wee bit less than
17" to a wee bit more than 18" but, because of difficulty installing or
removing the chain with rear facing dropouts, the minimum length might kind
of unusable.  Tire clearance is compromised at the shorter length, too.
Who knows what the Blue Lug bike will be, but I can't imagine it being too
different, and the principle is still the same.

My earlier off-the cuff guess about gear range was a bit optimistic, but
here is one that looks like a reasonable scenario, while keeping the
effective chainstay length (number in parenthesis) between 18" and 17".
This would use a 50 link chain with no half-link:

44:12 (17.82")
44:18 (17.13")
38:18 (17.93")
38:24 (17.22")
32:24 (18.00")
32:30 (17.26")

Still a pretty good range, better for on-road than off, so I personally
might look for a lower overall range.   Just had to get this out of my head
for now. Here's a tool that lets you calculate chainstay length for
different gear combinations, in case anyone else wants to play around with
it:  http://eehouse.org/fixin/index.php