Platform pedals and a minimalist shoe that fits. Done. No hacking required. But
the point that cycling shoes are NOT foot shaped (unless you’ve deformed your
feet in modern footbinders to make them last-shaped, sardonic grin), so if your
foot is foot shaped, cycling shoes will fell horrible, even in the “right” size.

Before a decent minimalist option came out for winter boots, I hacked the heel
off some Sorels (far harder to do than I’d have thought). It was usable, and I
have them as back up if needed, but far, far from ideal.

With abandon,
Patrick