My Riv (97 Road Standard) had Phil hubs (pre-"Rivy"), and I rebuilt the
rear dishless with a 650b Synergy OC rim.

But, I ended up selling off that wheelset to a list-member because of the
"freewheel issue".  Aka, there are few freewheels available, with
ever-dwindling gear selection and quality.
I used one of the DNP Epoch freehwheels with good results, but I convinced
myself that those wouldn't be around forever.  The Shimano 13-28 and 14-34
freewheels (and their clones) *will* be around forever, I don't doubt
that.  But I don't like either of those gear ranges.

Don't get me wrong, you could easily buy a 20-year supply (which would be,
maybe 3 or 4?) of your favorite DNP or IRD freewheels and be set for a long
time.  And with Phil FW hubs, bearing replacements are cheap and easy (they
take a very commonly available size).

But, I used it as an excuse to build a new set with a dynamo and a freehub,
and sold the Phils to a new home (with new bearings, of course).  And I
love my 3 x 10 with an 11-32 cassette and road triple.

It's a personal choice, with good reasons in favor of each case.  But no
one can deny that the market has spoken on freewheels.