Aha, now I understand what you mean by "protected bike lanes" -- I rather
think I'd agree with your preference if it was a matter of these or regular
bike lanes, or bike boulevards, or for that matter, just streets with lanes
wide enough for a cyclist to ride safely to the right of traffic, but
without any striping or other provisions for cyclists exclusively.

I don't think we have such protected bike lanes here in our fair city, at
least, I've not seen any.