The tell-tale that signals the end of 8 speed from Rivendell will likely be
when the 8 speed Ultegra bar ends are no longer offered.  While I like my 8
speeds, I really don't need an 11 or 12 cog, and there are plenty of 7
speed cassettes in useable ranges available from many sources.  Just add
the spacer.  And there's always the trusty "make 8 from a 7 plus stray
cogs, using 8 speed spacers" solution.

BTW, also checked Harris site, just for fun.  While they list a lot of
things, when you click on a lot of them, the response is "not availalbe".
Inventory control is a tough problem.

dougP