Steve,

I'm in Raleigh and there are a bunch of nice routes nearby.  As far as
MUPs go, The American Tobacco Trail (http://www.triangletrails.org/
ATT.HTM) is probably the longest.  It starts (or ends) in Durham and
follows the old rail bed to the other side of Raleigh.  It's a little
patchy near Durham (or was the last time I went that way), so you
might have to use a couple of regular roadways to connect it all.
Umstead Park has 10-15 miles of gravel road that is nice and quiet.
It's located in Raleigh, but still not too far from CH.  I have a
couple of saved rides out thru Orange County (Chapel Hill) that I can
forward to you.....and a few in Wake county as well (mosty 60-80 mile
routes).  There is MTBing galore if that's your thing:  check out
TriangleMTB.com for trails in the area.

Lastly, the Raven Rock Ramble is in April....it's an organized century
that starts and ends at Harris Lake...you can google it for more
info....

have fun!

Tony