PDX probably has many used trainers via craigslist; else, a Kurt Kinetic (e.g.
via REI) is great. Kinetic sells a little magnet and sensor that goes on the
fluid trainer, is calibrated, and provides fairly accurate wattage info via a
companion app that’s free to use for basic workouts. Slightly more expensive
models clamp the frame sans rear wheel, which has many advantages. Lots of
online “multiplayer” options to help with motivation, etc.

I’m in a similar situation - kids, real winter, demanding job, etc. I’ve tried
out everything from riding fixed outdoors / traditional rollers / trainers to a
full-on CompuTrainer (and at an earlier point even VO2max assessment). Takeaway
for me was: whatever it takes to develop a habit, which takes about 6 weeks of
consistent doing to stick. Some exercise is better than none!

Another thought: free weights and/or rower to put on a bit of upper body mass.
I crashed recently and broke my collarbone... common enough injury in cycling
and other sports. But I do wonder if a bit more upper body muscle mass couldn’t
have limited the damage... As I recover enough to restart exercising, I’ll
probably do a bit more upper body / whole body workouts.

- Max in A2