Two risks come to mind:

1. Pinch flats. This will be mitigated a bit by increasing your tire
pressure but offroading with that much weight on a 38mm tire might just
warrant exploration into tubeless territory.

2. Your rims will take more of a beating.with the narrower tire. I'd
recommend extra spokes and tools for their installation in your kit.

Best,
D.