I can now confirm that Snoqualmie Pass (44mm) tires fit just fine on my
fenderless Sam with Tektro R559 sidepulls.  I hope that is helpful for some
of you current or future Sam owners considering these tires.

Pictures here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9kfJxuf3sXyDyBoA3

Personally, I really like the tan sidewalls with the orange frame!

I only had time for a 10 min test ride but can tell they're lighter and
certainly more cush than the 35mm marathons they replaced.  I weigh about
190; they're inflated to 50 psi, which is likely almost 5lbs over optimum.

Speaking of optimum:  Not to start another 'optimum pressure' storm, but
Jan's article on minimum tire pressure attracted a commenter who created
this cool Excel spreadsheet to calculate optimum pressure.  If you're
interested, just go here and download the spreadsheet (if you don't make a
local copy, others who access it online may overwrite you and vice-versa):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15nT3Q2Cnk6-2HbRSpPngFEoR5QnLTQZdlzofzC_mLTY/edit#gid=0

Tom