This double single speed idea - I wonder if this is what I've actually been
doing all along - and if so, I was cool before it was cool to be cool. My Betty
is from 2012, and has the traditional friction shifters and two chainrings up
front, and several in the back. However, I only use 2 gears. I never, ever
shift the rear gears, and I will only shift to the granny cog up front when
climbing the unreasonable hill near home. I never think to shift any other
time. The way the bike feels is normal to me, and I never feel the itch to mess
with it. I don't know if the gears are simply perfect for me, thus no need to
change, or if my legs have become one with this bike. I suspect the latter.