I think the softness/pliability of your wool mitts is pushing into the valley
at the base of your palm, pressing the Palmer nerve enough to result in a bit
o’ impingement and result with some temporary numbness. Those gooey gel saddles
sold to new cyclists do the same thing to their rear ends.

My hand issue catalog comes honestly from a year and a half on crutches. No way
around the damage, just glad th neuropathy and sores healed, and that I can
walk.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh