John  mentions a u-lock being cut, but the ad as currently missing does not
contain this info. I assume either the cl poster changed the copy to appear
less incriminating or John made a logical assumption, since it is doubtful
the bike would last more than a few hours in one spot  unlocked. So kind of
easy to determine if this was theft. Just imagine a police officer had
observed this person "saving" this bicycle.

Officer: Freeze! Drop the bolt cutters and back away from the bike slowly.
You're under arrest,.
Good Samaritan: Huh? For what?
Officer: Bike theft, wise guy.
GS: Oh. (Chuckles lightly).  Right. No, it's not how it looks. See, the
bike has been parked here  for a couple of weeks now. I was becoming
concerned that it might get  stolen or stripped of parts, so I'm taking it
to post on craigslist, to keep it safe and remind the owner they forgot to
pick up their bicycle.
Officer: Right, pal. And when kids lose a tooth you go around putting
quarters under their pillows and that's not breaking and entering.

The CL poster claims he observed the bike in the same spot for several
weeks. Obviously during. that time it would not have been difficult for him
to look up the correct procedure for this situation. After something like
this gets reported to the city hotline, I imagine the police or public
works  dept. at some point will cut the lock and take possession of the
bicycle. By taking it upon himself to remove it, the cl guy puts the bike
in his control. If he reunites the bike with its rightful owner, he's a
hero. If nobody claims it, he is the proud new owner of a Rivendell.
Whether he is willing to admit it or not, I detect larceny in his heart.