On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 11:01:14 AM UTC-8, Steve Palincsar wrote:

> On 01/31/2018 12:34 PM, Brewster Fong wrote:
>
> I think the "advantage" of a threadless headset is in the adjustment.
> Throw in a face plate stem and you can easily swap stems and bars. But
> really, how many people do that?  So again, it comes back to adjustment.
> Threadless is so simple and requires what a 5mm hex wrench?!
>

> And yet, many times I've encountered riders on a club ride who had loose
> headsets -- threadless in all but one case (and he was screwing around with
> the headset the night before, didn't adjust it right and left the wrench in
> the car -- and this as we were about 2 hrs into a 4 day tour in South
> Dakota!) -- and not one of those riders with threadless headsets had any
> idea how to adjust their headset.  Not a one.  Being a threaded headset
> user, I have no idea either, so we'ved asked around and *not one single
> person on the entire club ride* -- and they themselves all had threadless
> headsets -- *ever* had any idea how to adjust one.

So let me get this straight. A guy is about to go on a four day tour and
the night before he decides to "screw around" with the threadless headset.
However, he has no idea what he's doing and then a couple of hours into the
ride, the headset comes loose and he has no idea how to adjust it nor does
he have a 5mm to fix it?!  Wow. I agree in that scenario, there is no
advantage. I guess the advantage would be to a threaded headset as he would
need two specific tools (32mm or 36mm) to adjust it.  In that case, the
threaded headset would probably keep him from being tempted to "screw
around" with the headset the night before a big ride.  Unbelievable....

> So in my book, although there's unquestionably a theoretical advantage
> there, in practice it's meaningless since nobody seems to know how to do it.

In your scenario, where no one knows how to work on a threadless headset, I
agree! But adjusting a threadless headset really isn't that hard and a lot
easier than a threaded headset.

Of course, as you shown in your example, YMMV!

Good Luck!