Good luck indeed! I laughed at your description of the hapless and
mechanically clueless cyclist who decides, night before the tour, to mess
around with his headset. But with all the squeaky and chattering chains I
hear out on the bike path, coming from riders in full kit with carbon fiber
frames (not dissing kit or frames, just indicating that *these* indicate a
certain enthusiasm for the sport), I'm not surprised.

My own experience: I've made quite a few sub-8 minute headset bearing
adjustments and stem adjustments out on the road, with threadless systems,
and just the 4 mm allen. I must say that, while I prefer the look of a
Nitto Pearl (earlier, shinier model), I prefer the efficacy of the modern
threadless system.