Bill Lindsay wrote:* The innocence of our Craigslist angel is established
completely by us believing his story about his intent.  It's just a variant
of the "I was just borrowing it" defense.  That defense is valid if we
believe it, and is invalid if we don't.  *

In this case I would argue it matters not at all whether the guy has good
intentions; that is not a legitimate defense. Even if we may sympathize
with his motive, it does not make his actions valid or him innocent of
breaking the law. It's just vigilantism, plain and simple. Private citizens
can't go making this kind of decision, because, chaos, eventually.

Also, apologies to Jon, I did not see his script. Great minds, etc.

Here is the form Marty was referencing. You can find it easily by googling
Portland abandoned bicycle.
 https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/73379
<https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/73379>