I switched from 172.5 and 175 to 165 because I was getting knee pain and
some research told me that it may have to do with crank length. It worked,
after switching the distance my leg had to travel on each pedal stroke and
for some reason helped the knee pain.  The short cranks helped with pedal
strikes on the mtbs too.