The point of taking crank length into account is that the leverage of the
system is calculated more accurately. Shortening the cranks raises the gear,
and shrinking the ring lowers the gear. Both together should have a net effect
of zero.

175mm cranks, 44t ring, 18t cog, and 29”x1.9” tires = 4.8 gain ratio.
170mm cranks, 42t ring, 18t cog, and 29”x1.9” tires = 4.8 gain ratio.

In theory the two setups would have the same leverage, and in practice... it
would be fine. In my experience, you’d get used to the change right away, if
you even noticed it.

I’d switch. Smaller ring, shorter cranks, easier spin; all advantages offroad.

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA