J Imler,

I hear you.  Totally agree.  Cycling is one amazingly efficient mode of
transport and it is FUN too.  Your observation about motorists in cars is
spot-on: Way back in the day I used to ride motorcycles.  As a
motorcyclist, we/I would refer to automobile drivers as 'cagers' (a person
stuck in a cage).  Quite appropos, yes?

As an aside, I am wondering aloud if people who are attracted to cycling
(and stick with it) tend to be introverts and fiercely independent.  As in
"I really don't care what other people think about me" mentality?

You are definitely not alone!

Jeff