Patrick , use universal hand gestures common to human beings standing in
person next to each other , no one understands "bike signals" these dayze.
Think "talking with my hands".  It's gotta be demonstrative, with emotion
.... none of us are machines, period.

Point left with the left hand, right with the right. To gesture slow down,
turn your body in the direction of the driver(eye contact if you can) and
give a gesture like you're pushing a wall (palm out, fingers extended), and
hold it briefly.... like you're telling them to "back off".

If I "take a lane" with a car behind me, I make a gesture like a emphatic
"hammer slam down" with a pointed finger downward to the lane, and I MEAN
IT.  "Here I am, this is mine now, back off" .