I enjoy my Surly Extraterrestrial 29 x 2.5 tires for mixed surface riding.
They are heavy on the scale, but roll very well.  I use them on mixed
surfaces with non-technical singletrack (e.g. MoCo trails here in
Maryland).  Since they don't have tall knobs, they'll fit in most 29er
frames.  I have ran them in Salsa Fargo Gen 1 and Velo Orange Piolet.