hi nancy, I've ridden those hilly baltimore valleys a good deal, on a
custom titanium serotta and on a fendered, touring racked big (68cm)
atlantis, and the difference isn't as much as you'd think. last year we
encountered some hills in quebec that were defeating my sixtyish band of
cyclists and we took our bags off and stashed them in the woods, shedding
maybe 15-20 pounds; and again it just didn't help that much. my point I
guess is that weight doesn't matter as much as we think. just got a 64 cm
clem L and maybe in next month or two I can report how that manages in
baltimore county. strongly suspect any failings will be the rider, not the
clem.  tom horton