Hi, Roberta,

There are many Bay-Area'ers on this list, so you might get more advice and
suggestions than you'd like. Since you are asking on the RBW list and going
to visit Riv, I am assuming that you are OK with biking, which I would say
is the best way to see the City and the surrounding areas, given the amount
of time you have. Recently I hosted my family for a week, and I haven't
driven in the City for a while up until then, and driving and looking for
parking is highly non-relaxing, especially on a weekend, and especially on
a nice-weather weekend which we have been having nonstop (and we really
want more rain).

I would recommend find a bike to use, and work out a itinerary from there.
All the major attractions, nature and otherwise, can be reached by bike,
and you can see many of them in one day (SF is only 7 x 7 miles!). Here is one
potential route <https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18222421> that hit many
spots that you can do in a morning.

I also highly recommend a few spots in nearby Marin County: hiking/riding
in Mt Tam (biking up old railroad grade
<https://www.instagram.com/p/BfCR2PXnbHe/?taken-by=franklynwu> or hiking up
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/franklyn/albums/72157689192203682>), Pt Reyes
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/franklyn/albums/72157668924318049>,
Tennessee Valley (riding/hiking coastal trail to Muir Beach
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/franklyn/albums/72157667332302069>),
Headlands. These are a little further, and driving may allow you to see
more of them in 1 day, but definitely bikable if you want to have the
"local's experience".

I would say go to Muir Wood on Monday, as traffic on weekends are really
bad.

Have fun!

Franklyn