Compliments are certainly not outside the expectations for this forum; we give
and get them in one way or another all the time on the list. I like your style,
great idea, awesome cap, cute dog, stylin' outfit, whatever. In fact, there’s a
whole (predominantly women’s) movement out there that thrives on appreciation
of fashion and function for biking - it’s known as bicycle chic, in fact, I
relate to that over the bike packing, century-conquering sets. And while I do
have a keen mind, some mad talent in the kitchen, and a witty sense of humor,
the day no one thinks I’m cute is going to be a sad day for me indeed.

We’re not at work; we’re among friends in an affinity group. We can pay each
other compliments. Let’s assume the best about one another; no one on this
forum means anyone else any harm. Saying someone looks cute or fit or good is
just fine. If you comment that my a$$ looks good in those shorts -I’d agree
with you- but we’d have an issue, you and me, because that’s sexual.

Now my dog, on the other hand…well, when he found out about this he really
wanted to give Doug a chance to email HIM an apology. My American Eskimo dog
does not identify as “cute.” And he is outraged that anyone would label him so.

I respect your right not to ever receive a compliment. Even if your hair is
really GQ that day, I promise I shall refrain. But let’s not shame well-meaning
folks from paying harmless compliments. The culture in which we find ourselves
is ridiculously offend-able and reactive and thin-skinned and ridiculous. Let’s
refuse to participate.