I run the sugino cranks with race face 1x chainrings and a wolftooth
roadlink with a road rear derailleur (microshift R10). I've run 1x8
(12-40), 1x9 (11-36), and 1x10 (11-36). All have been on 650b bikes.

i ride a 38t with 11-36 10 speed cassette for my commuter. 11-40 big
cassettes with 40t front are popular, but I just see it as unnecessary
weight. 38t with 11small cog gives me more than enough speed, and 38t with
36 big cog gives me enough to go up hills. If you're carrying a lot even
doing 36t up front with 11-36 cassette would be good. I don't really see a
need to go above 11-40t cassette.

If you go 9 speed wide cassette, use a 10 speed chain. I recommend going 10
speed. Not only are the narrow wide chainrings made for 10-11 speed chains,
but you get more steps in your gearing. this is particularly useful going
up a steep hill. when I was climbing with the 8 speed wide cassette or 9
speed wide cassette, i would shift up, only for the shift to be too big,
and I would lose my cadence and my momentum, making climbing slower than if
I had more steps to keep up the same cadence. no use in having wide
cassettes to tackle hills, if its going to take you longer to get up the