I've had a bike chrome plated by GOrilla bicycles here in Z├╝rich. It cost
about $300.

The fears about weakening the metal only apply to bad workshops: the
process involves an acid bath, which needs to be washed away lest the acid
slowly eat the steel.

A good job actually involves 3 platings. The frame is first plated with
copper, which is much softer than steel and can be easily polished. This is
necessary if you want a truly mirror-like finish. Second, the bike is
nickel-plated, which has a stiffness intermediate between copper and
chrome. Without this layer the chrome can crack. Third, chrome plating.

Given that they're doing all the platings anyways, GOrilla also offers you
the ability to just have your bike copper- or nickel-plated. The copper
looks awesome, it starts out as, well, a very bright copper finish which
slowly oxidized to a deep brown. I really like the nickel, too, which has a
slight goldish tint and is less shiny than chrome.