chrome is super awesome, and I think my my grail bike will be chromed (when
i get to that point).

however, it is super expensive to have done well and yes, environmentally
bad. if you have it done by a bike chromer, it will be $$$$$. you can
probably have some local place chrome it, but be care. 1. all threads need
to be prepped and NOT chromed (or still work when chromed). 2. the headtube
needs to be carefully done so that headsets can still fit correctly. 3. the
steel can become a little more brittle, which can really mess your bike up
if step #2 isn't followed.

but still, chrome is the awesomest.