Max, I didn't read your message properly at first.   Don't know if you
noticed, but there are still small sage Hubba Hubba frames available, while
the mediums are long gone.  I know its a hassle but I'd bet you could find
someone who wants that orange medium, since its the most needed size, and
work out some sort of trade.  Hopefully someone nearby to you and/or Riv.
Maybe you still have a chance to get what you wanted!

What I started to say earlier was that I just take this as an example of
how hard such a business must be to run.   NOT as a sign of reckless
business decisions.  Just like the MUSA clothing and 59cm Frank Jones Sr.
frames, clients and and retailers like Rivendell can't weight their
purchases toward the sizes that they know will sell.   Manufacturers expect
them to buy a full run of each size that they want to carry, even though
much of it will languish on a shelf.

I think those people who shop at the small and large ends of the spectrum,
and who are uniquely served by Rivendell,  should be required to buy double
hail mary points.  (Kidding.)